Porcupine Meatballs in Tomato Sauce
Big, juicy Italian-style meatballs in a rich tomato sauce, made with rice that sticks out a bit like porcupine quills when cooked. Porcupine Meatballs are a hearty and flavorful dish that's been passed down for generations!
Tomato Sauce Ingredients
- 1 can crushed tomatoes 28 ounce can
- 1 can tomato sauce 14 ounce can
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup water
- pinch sugar
- 1 pound ground beef
- ¼ pound mild Italian sausage
- ½ cup rice
- 1 teaspoon salt IF your Italian seasoning does not have salt in it
- ¼ cup onion chopped
- ¼ cup green pepper chopped
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
How to Make the Sauce
In large pot or Dutch oven, combine tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, and water. Add a teaspoon of Italian seasoning and a pinch of sugar.
Warm sauce over low heat while you make the meatballs.
How to Make the Meatballs
Mix together meatball ingredients in a large bowl, then form into large balls, about 2 inches in diameter.
Gently add the meatballs to the warm tomato sauce. Use a spoon to cover all of the meatballs with sauce.
Cook at a low simmer for 1 1/2 to two hours - do not allow the sauce to boil.
Remove from heat and let rest for about 15 to 30 minutes before serving.