Super moist and bursting with citrus flavor, Mountain Dew cake is a fun way to jazz up a basic box cake mix! Fluffy lemon bundt cake topped with zippy lime frosting — it’s a must for Mountain Dew fans or anyone looking for an easy and unique cake recipe!
Mountain Dew Bundt Cake
Mountain Dew has always been a favorite in my family. I didn’t get to drink soda a lot as a kid, but when I did, my choice was the Dew! Same for my dad. I guess that’s not surprising when you grew up in West Virginia, which is one of the top 5 states for Mountain Dew consumption.
What IS surprising is that my husband — who is a die-hard Dr. Pepper fan (as hew grew up in Texas — because a Mountain Dew convert last year. He LOVES the stuff!
So when I heard that you could use Mountain Dew to make a cake, I knew we had to try it!
Let me tell you, this Mountain Dew cake recipe did NOT disappoint! It’s really, really, good. As in…I ate one piece and then I immediately cut myself another slice. It’s kind of dangerous stuff!
The cake itself is a lemon pudding cake, made with cake mix and Mountain Dew baked right in for extra citrus flavor and extra fluffiness. It is SO moist! Almost impossibly moist!
Then we topped in with lime frosting that we also use a store-bought base (to save time) and mixed with lime jello mix. It’s zippy and the perfect contrast to the smooth lemon cake!
I will totally admit that I didn’t expect this cake to be as good as it is — but it is phenomenal! I might just request this one for my birthday!
It is a MUST for any true Mountain Dew fan or if you’re looking for a unique cake recipe to try!
What You Need to Make Mountain Dew Cake
For your convenience in re-creating this recipe at home, we’ve included shop-able ad links to some of the products and supplies used. Read our disclosure policy here.
- White Cake Mix + Ingredients Listed on Box (except water)
- 1 can Mountain Dew — to be used in place of the water in box cake directions
- Lemon pudding mix— 2.9 ounce box
- Lime gelatin mix — 3 ounce box
- Vanilla frosting — we used one can of the store bought kind
- Green food coloring & green sugar sprinkles
Kitchen Supplies Used
Can You Use Another Type of Soda?
Mountain Dew is my husband’s favorite, which is why it was our choice for this cake. However, any other type of lemon lime or citrus soda would also work well in this recipe.
We used the “throwback” Mountain Dew that’s made with real sugar, but you can use the regular Mountain Dew that comes in the neon can too.
Does the Soda Replace Eggs in a Cake?
There are quite a few cake recipes out there where you’ll see a can of soda used in place of eggs and oil to make a cake mix. So you’d only need two ingredients: cake mix and soda.
This does work, but you may run into an issue with the cake not rising as much as it usually would. That’s why we kept the eggs and oil in our recipe and simply swapped the Mountain Dew for the water.
The result is a cake that’s super fluffy and springy, and at the same time incredibly moist.
How to Make Lemon-Lime Bundt Cake with Mountain Dew
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Add box cake mix to a large mixing bowl, along with all of the ingredients listed on the back of the box — EXCEPT water. Instead of the water, add a full 12oz can of Mountain Dew soda. Yes, this will not be the same amount of water that you would have added – that’s ok!
Add one box of lemon pudding mix to bowl too.
Mix all cake ingredients and pour the batter into a bundt pan that’s been greased and floured. Bake according to the directions on box.
TIP: Because we added a bit more liquid to our cake than is listed on the cake box, you may need to bake for a few extra minutes. Keep an eye on the cake and use a toothpick to test for doneness.
When cake is done, remove from oven and allow to cool in the pan. When the sides of the cake start to pull away from the pan, give the pan a good shake. This will help release the top of the cake from the bottom of the pan. Flip onto a cake stand.
To Make the Lime Frosting
This frosting is super simple to make and it is wildly flavorful! Simply mix together half a box of lime jello and one can of vanilla frosting. Stir well until everything is smooth.
We scooped the frosting into a decorating bag and piped it over the cake and added green sprinkles on top. The green sugar sprinkles give the outside of the cake a little bit of a crunch that is a fun contrast in texture.
Mountain Dew Cake Recipe (Printable Copy)
Did you try this recipe? Please rate it! We’d also love to hear your thoughts in the comments!
Mountain Dew Cake
- bundt cake pan
- Mixing bowls
- 1 box white cake mix + ingredients on back of box
- 1 can Mountain Dew used in place of water
- 1 box lemon pudding mix 2.9 ounce box
- 1 box lime gelatin mix 3 ounce box
- 1 can vanilla frosting
- green food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Add cake mix to large mixing bowl along with the ingredients listed on the back of the box. In place of water, add the can of Mountain Dew soda.
- Mix well and pour batter into a greased and floured bundt pan.
- Bake according to directions on cake mix package. You may need to add a few minutes to the cook time because of the added liquid in the recipe. The cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan.
- When the sides of the cake start to pull away from the pan, it should be cool enough to remove from the pan. Give the pan a good shake to release the bottom of the cake, then flip onto a cake stand.
To Make the Frosting
- Combine 1 can of vanilla frosting and 1/2 package lime gelatin mix in a medium bowl. Whisk together until well mixed.
- Scoop frosting into a decorating bag and drizzle on top of the bundt cake. Finish with sprinkles.
Pin this Lemon-Lime Bundt Cake on Pinterest
You might also like: