Crispy lettuce and creamy homemade French dressing make this shredded lettuce salad the most crave-able salad you’ll ever taste!
Shredded Lettuce Salad with French Dressing and Blue Cheese
This salad delighted restaurant goers for about 30 years in my small hometown in West Virginia. I don’t remember the exact name; we simply called it the “River’s Edge Salad.”
In researching this salad and looking for the origin of the dressing, it appears that the dressing was based on an even older restaurant’s recipe! I discovered that this salad dressing had been used in a steakhouse that had been in operation as far back as 1930. Fellow West Virginians may know this as “Sterling Restaurant Salad Dressing” or “Sterling Salad Dressing.”
But whatever you call it, this dressing is magical!
The salad I grew up with was very simple. However, it was the menu item I always looked forward to the most, as did my family. It was a classic and well-known salad in my hometown and I’m sure many people still miss it!
So, we’re bringing it back!
The original salad is so easy, you can make it in 10 minutes!
We’ve included the original recipe, but also an update to make it even more flavorful. Because it seemed like the perfect kind of salad to go with steak, I dressed it up with bacon and chopped cherry tomatoes. It reminds me of a chopped-up steakhouse wedge salad but it’s much easier to eat than a wedge salad.
The original did not have bacon or tomatoes, so you can add those if you like, or try the original recipe with just blue cheese and homemade dressing.
Either way is fabulous!!
Related: For another restaurant copycat recipe, try our Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits!
Homemade French Dressing Ingredients
The French dressing is key to the unique taste of this salad; but it’s not like the bottles you’d buy in the store. This dressing is sweet and tangy and is perfect for the crisp iceberg and creamy blue cheese.
- ¾ cup liquid egg substitute (Use the whole egg kind, not just whites)
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- 1 ¾ cup of light oil, divided
- ¾ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- Iceberg lettuce
- Crumbled bleu cheese
- Cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- Bacon, cooked and crumbled
TIP: This recipe is especially quick to make if you have some cooked bacon on hand. Allow a little extra time if you need to cook some bacon.
How to Make Homemade French Dressing
Combine egg substitute, sugar, and process several seconds in a blender until sugar is dissolved. Add salt, paprika, and 1 cup of the oil. Process until well mixed. Add ketchup and vinegar. With blender running on low, add remaining ¾ cup of oil in a steady stream until well blended and oil is combined.
How to Shred Lettuce for a Salad
You don’t need a grater to shred lettuce! A few simple cuts with a good chef’s knife will do the trick quickly and easily.
First, cut a head of iceberg lettuce into quarters, removing the core. Next, cut each quarter into thin slices. These slices will pull apart easily into perfect shredded lettuce.
Divide shredded iceberg lettuce onto four plates or bowls.
Top with the French dressing and crumble blue cheese on top.
TIP: There are many types of blue cheese available. Pick something already crumbled or choose a sturdy wedge that you can crumble yourself.
Add crumbled bacon and halved cherry tomatoes, if desired.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it Safe to Use Raw Eggs in Salad Dressing?
This dressing recipe calls for liquid egg substitute, as opposed to raw eggs. These liquid egg products have been pasteurized, which means they’ve gone through a heating process to kill certain food-borne bacteria. Just be sure to check the expiration date on the carton.
Make note of the expiration date on the carton. With proper refrigeration, you can keep this dressing for a week or two.
What Type of Lettuce is Used for Shredded Lettuce?
Iceberg lettuce is the traditional choice for this salad because it has a mild taste that allows the dressing to shine. I prefer buying a head of lettuce and slicing it myself because it tastes so much fresher! You may grow to love iceberg lettuce as much as me when you do this.
However, you can use bagged iceberg lettuce that is already shredded in a pinch. The dressing will make any type of lettuce taste amazing…it is that good!
More of Our Favorite Salad Recipes
- Creamy Broccoli Bacon Salad
- Roasted Brussel Sprout Salad
- 7-Layer Pea Salad
- Homemade Potato Salad
- Creamy Bacon Tomato Pasta Salad
Shredded Iceberg Lettuce Salad (Printable Recipe)
If you liked this recipe, please rate it!
Shredded Lettuce Salad with French Dressing
- Cutting board/knife
- 1 head iceberg lettuce shredded
- 1 cup French Dressing (recipe below)
- 1/4 pound blue cheese crumbled
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/4 pound bacon cooked and crumbled
French Dressing Ingredients
- 1 3/4 cup Light Olive oil divided
- 3/4 cup liquid egg substitute whole eggs not whites
- 1/4 cup cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- Combine egg substitute, sugar, and process several seconds in a blender until sugar is dissolved.
- Add salt, paprika, and 1 cup of the oil.
- Process until well mixed.
- Add ketchup and vinegar.
- With blender running on low, add remaining ¾ cup of oil in a steady stream until well blended and oil is combined.
- Cut iceberg lettuce into quarters, removing the core. Cut each quarter into thin slices.
- Divide shredded iceberg lettuce onto four plates or bowls. Top with the French dressing. Crumble blue cheese on top.
- Top generously with French dressing and bleu cheese crumbles. Add crumbled bacon and halved cherry tomatoes, if desired.
Pin this Steakhouse salad recipe on Pinterest:
You might also like: