This moist chocolate cherry cake is packed with flavor from the cherries baked right into the batter! And with only a handful of ingredients, it’s as easy as it is delicious!
Cherry Chocolate Cake
This easy chocolate cherry cake recipe is one you should definitely add to your collection. It’s a silky-smooth, delicious chocolate cake that gets the added surprise of cherries mixed right into the batter. A dollop of whipped cream on top is totally optional.
My mother in law makes this cherry chocolate cake every year, for various occasions. I’ve always loved it, but when she told me how easy it is to make, I loved this cake even more!
Listen, if you can make a box cake, you can make THIS cake! It’s so easy…it’s literally foolproof! Two extra steps (yep, that’s it!) take a simple chocolate box cake from ordinary to extraordinary!
This is one of the easiest dessert you’ll ever make because it is just mix and bake…almost a dump cake level of simplicity! No mixer needed!
What I especially love about this cake is how moist it is. The cherry pie filling keeps the cake itself super soft, with juicy pockets of cherry flavor. The other half of the cherry pie filling is spread on top of the cake while it is still warm. This creates the effect of a chocolate ganache on top, without actually having to mix up a separate batch of chocolate glaze!
Using box cake is one of my go-to shortcuts (no shame in the game!) and this particular chocolate cherry cake is one of the best!
Related: Try Grandma Lucy’s Christmas Cherry Pie recipe too!
For your convenience in re-creating this recipe at home, we’ve included shop-able ad links to some of the products and supplies used. Read our disclosure policy here.
- 1 Box Chocolate Cake Mix + Ingredients on Box
- 1 Large Can Cherry Pie Filling
Kitchen Supplies Used
- 9×13″ baking dish or cake pan
- Large mixing bowl
What Kind of Cake Mix Should I Use?
Any standard chocolate cake mix or Devil’s Food Cake mix should work just fine. That’s the beauty of this recipe! You really can’t mess it up!
This is a great opportunity to use up what you already have in your pantry.
Preheat oven to the temperature listed on the back of the cake mix box. Grease your cake pan or baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add cake mix and ingredients listed on the box (eggs, oil, etc.) to a large bowl. Whisk together until you have a smooth batter. Pour half the can of cherry pie filling into the bowl of batter and stir to incorporate. Reserve the other half of the cherry pie filling for later.
- Pour cake batter into an oblong baking dish and bake according to package directions. Use a toothpick to check for doneness, if needed.
- Remove from oven. You can place the pan on a wire rack or potholder while it begins to cool.
- Pour the other half of the cherry pie filling on top of the still-warm cake. Gently use a large spoon or a spatula to spread the filling so that it covers the top of the cake.
Want to make this cake something truly special? Customize it with these add-ons and mix-ins:
- Stir 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips into the cake batter before baking for an extra-chocolately treat.
- Top cooled cake with a layer of whipped topping before serving.
- Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup for a delicious cake a la mode!
Does This Cake Need to Be Refrigerated?
No, this cake does not need to be kept in the refrigerator. I recommend covering the pan with either a lid, foil, or plastic wrap to prevent it from drying out.
At room temperature, this cake should stay good for 3-5 days.
More Easy Cake Recipes
- Mountain Dew Cake
- Poor Man’s Cake
- Easy Cinnamon Coffee Cake
- Chocolate Depression Cake
- Pina Colada Poke Cake
- Lemon Sheet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Cherry Chocolate Cake Recipe (Printable Copy)
Have you tried this recipe and loved it? Please rate it!
Easy Cherry Chocolate Cake
- large mixing bowl
- Oblong Baking Dish
- 1 box Chocolate Cake Mix + Ingredients on Box
- 1 can Cherry Pie Filling 21oz can
- Add cake mix and ingredients listed on the box (eggs, oil, etc.) to a large mixing bowl. Whisk together until you have a smooth batter.
- Pour half the can of cherry pie filling into the bowl of batter and stir to incorporate. Reserve the other half of the cherry pie filling for later.
- Pour cake batter into an oblong baking dish and bake according to package directions.
- Remove from oven and place pan on wire rack.
- Pour the other half of the cherry pie filling on top of the still-warm cake. Gently use a spatula to spread the filling so that it covers the top of the cake.
Pin this Cherry Chocolate Cake Recipe on Pinterest:
You might also like: